Approach to Environmental Conservation
We manufacture and sell products and provide solution services based on these products, focusing on analog semiconductors. With the coming of the Internet of Things (IoT),* in which a wide array of objects are computerized and connected via networks, analog semiconductors will be embedded in the devices used in our daily lives and industrial activities, acting as key components to provide people with new experiences and create new value.
If the energy-saving performance of analog semiconductors was improved, for example, this would reduce the power consumption of the electronic components embedded in various devices, contributing to a reduction on the environmental impact of society as a whole.
To accomplish this, we are thoroughly knowledgeable of the characteristics of our business, and engage in ongoing environmental conservation activities aimed not only at reducing the environmental impact of our business processes, but also at helping reduce the environmental impact of society itself through our products and solutions.
* Internet of Things. “The IoT concept refers to a state where vehicles, white appliances, robots, facilities, and nearly all other things connect to the Internet and exchange information with each other. According to the concept, as things are converted into data and automation based on these data progresses, new added value will be generated.” (Source: Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications “White Paper 2015: Information and Communications in Japan” Part 2, Chapter 5 Section 4 “Structural Changes in the Economy Caused by ICT Advancement”).
ABLIC Group Environmental Policy
Environmental Activity Guidelines
Every employee of the ABLIC Group shares our aim of contributing to achieve a sustainable and prospect future in the society through innovative products and services by integrating all our knowledge and technology. We aim to enhance our corporate value and create sustainable communities by providing safe and high-quality products and services of world-class environmental performance, while striving continuously to minimize the environmental impact on the environment from business operations.
- In recognition that measures in acknowledgment of environmental issues are the common challenges faced by humanity and with our vision of “Small, Smart, Simple” as our pillar, we shall, through our corporate activities including products and services, proactively use sustainable resources, and mitigate and adapt to climate change.
- We shall strive to prevent pollution so as to reduce damaging the natural environment and impact to ecosystems.
- We shall conduct our corporate activities with fairness and integrity in accordance with laws and regulations and the needs of the community while maintaining a sound relationship with political bodies and government agencies and including our customer requirements.
- We shall establish and continue to improve our environment management system so as to strive to enhance satisfaction and trust among our customers, and also strive for sustainable economic growth and the resolution of social issues.
President and CEO
October 1, 2018
Environmental Management System
In October 2018, we commenced working on initiatives toward attaining ISO 14001 Environmental Management System certification on our own as ABLIC Inc. with “Small, Smart, Simple” as our pillar. Specifically, we created an environmental management system in accordance with the ISO 14001 international standard, and are working on using sustainable resources as well as mitigating and adapting to climate change through our corporate activities—including products and services—by thoroughly implementing the PDCA management cycle so as to improve environmental performance.
Our environmental activity promotion system
We plan to promote environmental conservation activities by building an environmental management system in a simple manner and through an organizational structure that is smart and highly effective.
Environmental Activities and Results
We are conducting the following activities based on our environmental policy.
1. Energy-saving Measures
– Energy-saving product development
We leverage the features of CMOS ICs to develop energy-saving products with low power consumption levels.
– Manufacturing process energy consumption reductions
Our semiconductor product-manufacturing plants are taking the lead in reducing the power used in manufacturing processes.
2. Zero emission (zero landfill waste) measures
We actively recycle the etching fluid, washing fluid, packaging material, and other materials used in our semiconductor product manufacturing processes, working to reduce the amount of waste we produce. Our staff departments also not only sort and separate garbage, but also actively promote the recycling of paper used in day-to-day business operations.
3. Chemical substance management
– Chemical substance impact mitigation
In order to safely manage chemical substances and prevent them from having negative impacts on peoples’ health or the environment, of the chemical substances we use in our production processes, we thoroughly manage emissions and transport volumes not only of chemical substances designated under the PRTR Act*, but also of managed substances voluntarily designated by our ourselves (22 substances) and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) (100 substances).
We also appropriately manage and reduce emissions of other chemical substances, quickly eliminating the use of all ozone-destroying substances (specified CFCs in August 1992 and trichloroethane in November 1993), voluntarily eliminating the use of all chlorine-based organic solvents (in March 1999), and eliminating the use of all HCFC-141b chlorofluorocarbon alternative (a greenhouse gas) (in March 2000).
– Lead-free solder measures
In response to globally expanding regulations regarding the chemical substances used in products, in December 2003 we eliminated the use of lead in the solder plating of the leads in our semiconductor products.
– Compliance with REACH regulations
In order to comply with European REACH regulations, we obtain and manage information regarding the chemical substances contained in products via our supply chain, and appropriately convey this information to sellers of our products, etc., when necessary.
4. Environmentally conscious product design measures
We perform environmental assessments when developing new products, investigating the usage of prohibited substances and regulated substances. We make decisions regarding the use of materials in our products after acquiring and evaluating environmental impact and safety-related information from MSDS (material safety data sheets), working to reduce environmental impacts from the product design stage.
5. Green procurement measures
Based on our internal Green Procurement Standards, we collaborate with suppliers to prioritize the purchasing of environmentally-friendly articles.
6. Global warming countermeasures
In FY2016 (April 2016 to March 2017) we emitted 23,085t of CO2 and had a CO2 emission intensity of 31 tons of CO2 per million yen.
7. Efficient resource utilization
In FY2016 our total waste production was 806 tons, our landfill waste production was 1 ton, and we had a recycling rate of 74%. We used 203,912 m3 of water. We have designated individual targets for FY2017 onwards and are working to reduce the amount of resources that we use.
Total waste production and recycling rate (FY2016)
|General waste||68,319 kg|
|Oil waste||3,025 kg|
|Acid waste||45,368 kg|
|Alkali waste||33,091 kg|
|Plastic waste||144,907 kg|
|Wood waste||2,555 kg|
|Metal waste||107,378 kg|
|Glass, etc., waste||2,043 kg|
|Specified oil waste||168,858 kg|
|Specified acid waste||6,850 kg|
|Specified alkali waste||8,780 kg|
|Specified hazardous waste||3,803 kg|
|Specified infectious waste||0 kg|
|Total general waste volume||805,506 kg|
|Landfill waste volume||1,244 kg|
|Recycled volume||599,133 kg|
* The above values are actual values for our production sites, the Takatsuka Unit and the Akita Unit.