Animation digest (Duration: 1:05)
1. Despite technological advancements in wearables and IoT devices, the greatest challenge is the operating life of the battery.
2. ABLICs offers an ultimate solution to the challenge, “S-85S1A Series”, new DC-DC Switching Converters.
3. This IC offers ultra-low current consumption and achieves ultra-high efficiency of 90.5%.
4. In other words, this IC extends the battery life by 2 times that of conventional products.
5. “Easier to use, more usable than ever.” ABLIC is contributing to the development of future devices.
Self-current consumption of 260nA achieved!! ── Ultrahigh Efficiency Step-Down Switching Regulator Impact of S-85S1A
The S-85S1A is an ultrahigh efficiency step-down switching regulator newly developed by ABLIC Inc.. Through innovative technology such as COT (Constant On-Time) control and low power technology, it has achieved self-current consumption of only 260 nA. The S-85S1A is attracting attention and expectation as a product that will significantly extend the battery operation time of wearable and IoT devices.
Breaks the limits of conventional regulators.
For conventional switching regulators, the self-current consumption is in the microampere order. As a result, in the area where output current is in the microampere order, self-current consumption influences the current consumption due to the external load, substantially lowering the power consumption efficiency.
For wearable and IoT devices, their limited volume does not allow large batteries to be used. Accordingly, to extend battery operation time, there is no way other than to reduce the overall power consumption. That is why active attempts have been made to achieve energy savings in processors, displays and wireless devices, etc.
However, processors, displays and wireless devices in the wearables devices do not operate continuously. There is usually a reasonable standby time. Moreover, wearable devices are ultra-low power consumption devices in the first place. If conventional switching regulators are applied to these devices, the power consumption of the regulators themselves becomes relatively high. As a result, even if energy-saving processors, displays and wireless devices are used, how to extend the battery operation time is still a big issue. In some cases, the use of common series regulators can result in lower power consumption.
ABLIC’s S-85S1A is a new type of switching regulator that has resolved these issues fundamentally.
Its self-current consumption is the industry’s top class 260nA. It delivers dramatically improved efficiency when operating under light load of 1mA or less, and can achieve efficiencies of 90.5% with a load of 100μA. This enables designers and developers of wearable devices to extend the battery operation time by up to 2.5 times compared to common series products.
Comparing with Competitors’ switching regulators whose self-current consumption is reduced to the level of nanoampere order, S-85S1A is expected to improve battery operation time by 15% to 30%.
Combination of fast-transient response and space saving.
The features of the S-85S1A are not just limited to efficiency. The COT (Constant On-Time) control topology, developed by ABLIC to achieve a self-current consumption of 260 nA, also enables a very fast-transient response to load fluctuations. This will allow the prevention of voltage reduction when load fluctuates, significantly contributing to the stable operation of devices.
While containing various protection circuits, the S-85S1A uses the ultra-small package SNT-6A of the industry’s smallest class. Its detailed size is 1.8 x 1.57 x 0.5 mm on its own. It can be contained on a circuit board of 4.5 x 2.0 mm (a standard mounting example) including peripheral circuits. This makes it easy for the S-85S1A to be embedded into wearable devices with extremely small volume. Moreover, the existing board area can be selected for the usage of the conventional regulators or S-85S1A, thus allowing for development of flexible product strategy of making the S-85S1A adopted model and other models separately.
Wearable devices have been progressing from smartglasses, smartwatches to hearable devices. In order to promote their widespread usage, battery operation time, fast response and downsizing are all important issues to be considered. ABLIC expects that the technology of S-85S1A will make a contribution to the development of wearable and IoT devices.
- S-85S1A/S-85S1P Series
Product brochure download
- Vol.1 Do you know what it is? It is the secret to dramatically extending the battery life of wearable devices! (May 15, 2017)
- Vol.2 Self-current consumption of 260 nA achieved ── Ultra-High Efficiency Switching Regulator, Impact of S-85S1A (June 8, 2017)
- Vol.3 Innovation brought about by the collaborative creation with end users ── Ultrahigh-Efficiency Step-down Switching Regulator with a Supply Voltage Divided Output S-85S1P (June 27, 2017)
- Vol.4 The Age of the IoT ── Have you ever had problems detecting the movement of things? ～ Why are Hall Effect Switch ICs perfect for solving such problems? ～ (Dec. 7, 2017)
- Vol.5 The Transformation in IoT Devices brought about by Innovations in Hall Effect Switch ICs ── What is the impact of the S-5718, which can distinguish three states in one device? (Dec. 19, 2017)